Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Toku
Video 
Tell me what your favorite tokusatsu shows or movies are and why, I wanna hear about it! Big Grin
(I'll talk about mine after I have lunch)
Gotcha and Go-Ing Insane ヽ(・∀・)ノ
oooooh this is such a hard one for me! i haven't actually seen that much toku unless you count power rangers, and counting power rangers feels like cheating, so if i had to pick from toku like sentai and kamen rider, i'd choose.... hmm. i think it's easy for kamen rider because i've only seen one in full: kamen rider fourze! it's just so charming, my friend said it's a lot like PR with the ensemble cast so i started with it and just fell in love. everyone is so wholesome! it's such a heartwarming series but despite that has some amazing character moments and darker bits in it that add to the development of the cast over the course of the series. and the premise is just so cute and fun. i love it so much!

for sentai... ahh that's harder because my memory is a little shoddier. i don't think i can pick a favorite, but the closest might be shinkenger, because it's what i remember the best from my crazed toku binge back in january 2022 (i think it was 2022? maybe 2023?) and i really enjoyed the series. i'm also inclined to pick gokaiger even though i haven't seen it in almost 10 years (good lord) and thus don't remember a lot, nostalgia is just that powerful lol.

cheat time! for power rangers UGHHH I CAN'T PICK!!!! i've always been a PR fan at heart and i have soo many series i love, mostly from the disney era, but i'll be basic and pick power rangers rpm because i always end up picking this series. it's almost expertly crafted and written even with the internal strife the writers had given the changeover in head writers or whatever it was (guy who did the first half of this show and later went on to work on the walking dead i love you forever). despite all of that it's a well rounded series with a startlingly dark premise that's handled very well tone-wise - it balances levity and humor well with the apocalyptic setting, and brings a maturity to the greater power rangers series with elegance, once again despite what was going on internally. such a great show i recommend it to everyone even if they're not PR/toku fans haha! sorry i know PR only slightly counts as toku and i know you mean like, actual toku, but my PR love overwhelms all
say it with me: hello kitty balah curri hello kitty oishi! hello kitty balah curri hello kitty oishi! hello kitty balah curri hello kitty oishi!
Kikai Sentai Zenkaiger! I think it's hilarious and a wonderful tribute to the 44 previous series in the franchise. I love all of the characters and adore its incredibly kind outlook.

Kamen Rider Kuuga! The monsters are super intense and the police profiling stuff is fun but the whole show is anchored around this super chill slice-of-life drama and I love it. Nicest protagonist ever.

Dogengers High School! Basically the same answer as Zenkaiger but a tribute to all of tokusatsu rather than just Super Sentai. I love Dogengers in general but this one feels really special to me.

All of these shows make me cry a bunch even on rewatches and that's what I'm really looking for in a show. 😭
It's a two way tie between Kamen Rider OOO and Gaim i think, Gaim was the first rider series i watched all the way through as it was airing without falling off, and OOO is just great I love the designs of the suits. I also have a soft spot for Fourze! I'm the friend who turned melo onto it, hi!
For Super Sentai probably a tie between Magiranger (I love the family aspect) and Kyuranger, it was so fun following each week and the tweet jokes after each episode went live were glorious. Can't remember any of the sentai accounts I followed way back when it was airing sadly.
(02-07-2024, 07:19 AM)StardustCrusader Wrote: It's a two way tie between Kamen Rider OOO and Gaim i think, Gaim was the first rider series i watched all the way through as it was airing without falling off, and OOO is just great I love the designs of the suits.  I also have a soft spot for Fourze! I'm the friend who turned melo onto it, hi!
For Super Sentai probably a tie between Magiranger (I love the family aspect) and Kyuranger, it was so fun following each week and the tweet jokes after each episode went live were glorious.  Can't remember any of the sentai accounts I followed way back when it was airing sadly.

hi rico!!!!!!!! i need to watch magiranger so bad i remember when i was like 9 there was this super sentai amv i was obsessed with that was set to some bad pop rock/punk song by a no name band and all the magiranger scenes in it looked so cool to kid me and when i remember them they still seem cool i liked the pink ranger

I NEED TO WATCH OOO SO BAD FUCK
say it with me: hello kitty balah curri hello kitty oishi! hello kitty balah curri hello kitty oishi! hello kitty balah curri hello kitty oishi!
(02-06-2024, 02:13 PM)melo Wrote: oooooh this is such a hard one for me! i haven't actually seen that much toku unless you count power rangers, and counting power rangers feels like cheating, so if i had to pick from toku like sentai and kamen rider, i'd choose.... hmm. i think it's easy for kamen rider because i've only seen one in full: kamen rider fourze! it's just so charming, my friend said it's a lot like PR with the ensemble cast so i started with it and just fell in love. everyone is so wholesome! it's such a heartwarming series but despite that has some amazing character moments and darker bits in it that add to the development of the cast over the course of the series. and the premise is just so cute and fun. i love it so much!

for sentai... ahh that's harder because my memory is a little shoddier. i don't think i can pick a favorite, but the closest might be shinkenger, because it's what i remember the best from my crazed toku binge back in january 2022 (i think it was 2022? maybe 2023?) and i really enjoyed the series. i'm also inclined to pick gokaiger even though i haven't seen it in almost 10 years (good lord) and thus don't remember a lot, nostalgia is just that powerful lol.

cheat time! for power rangers UGHHH I CAN'T PICK!!!! i've always been a PR fan at heart and i have soo many series i love, mostly from the disney era, but i'll be basic and pick power rangers rpm because i always end up picking this series. it's almost expertly crafted and written even with the internal strife the writers had given the changeover in head writers or whatever it was (guy who did the first half of this show and later went on to work on the walking dead i love you forever). despite all of that it's a well rounded series with a startlingly dark premise that's handled very well tone-wise - it balances levity and humor well with the apocalyptic setting, and brings a maturity to the greater power rangers series with elegance, once again despite what was going on internally. such a great show i recommend it to everyone even if they're not PR/toku fans haha! sorry i know PR only slightly counts as toku and i know you mean like, actual toku, but my PR love overwhelms all

I would say PR counts!! It is part of the genre and is also many people's introductions to it! Fourze looks so good and so charming, I really need to see it... I've seen a part of it through the OOO x Fourze crossover movie MegaMax which is still my favorite Rider movie to date. It's so good.

I need to see RPM!! Even though I need to revisit it because its been 20 years for me I am super fond of Dino Thunder. That was the power rangers I loved to death as a child. I saw other series such as Samurai and other disney era and earlier ones as a kid but it's been so long.

(02-07-2024, 07:19 AM)StardustCrusader Wrote: It's a two way tie between Kamen Rider OOO and Gaim i think, Gaim was the first rider series i watched all the way through as it was airing without falling off, and OOO is just great I love the designs of the suits.  I also have a soft spot for Fourze! I'm the friend who turned melo onto it, hi!
For Super Sentai probably a tie between Magiranger (I love the family aspect) and Kyuranger, it was so fun following each week and the tweet jokes after each episode went live were glorious.  Can't remember any of the sentai accounts I followed way back when it was airing sadly.

Heyyy another OOO fan! : D
OOO was my first Kamen Rider I saw when I got into Toku in 2022, and I love it a lot. It and Ryuki are my faves for Rider. It's writing and cast are just so good!! I need to see Gaim one of these days, I've been curious about it.
I need to see Magiranger too!! A mutual of mine just finished it and from her posts it sounded so good and something really up my alley.
(02-08-2024, 02:06 PM)Linky Wrote: I would say PR counts!! It is part of the genre and is also many people's introductions to it! Fourze looks so good and so charming, I really need to see it... I've seen a part of it through the OOO x Fourze crossover movie MegaMax which is still my favorite Rider movie to date. It's so good.

I need to see RPM!! Even though I need to revisit it because its been 20 years for me I am super fond of Dino Thunder. That was the power rangers I loved to death as a child. I saw other series such as Samurai and other disney era and earlier ones as a kid but it's been so long.

fourze is VERY charming it's just a fun ride!!! there's a character for everyone to love, it has such a fantastic supporting cast and an adorable premise. i need to watch that movie once i watch ooo!

rpm is sooo fucking good oh my god i love it so much. also it's been years for me too with dino thunder (though not 20 because 20 years ago dino thunder was airing and i was not born yet lol), i should definitely give it another go since i remember it so fondly. samurai was my first introduction to PR! i vividly remember watching the first episode on its premiere (or well, the third episode, because some boneheads at nickelodeon thought it'd be cool and funny to show that instead of the first episodes) and i was so confused but i loved it. in retrospect the series is pretty (accidentally) orientalist and like i will never understand why they cast a white guy for the red ranger role instead of taking the opportunity for the first asian red ranger but like whatever, it's nostalgic!
I remember in 2012 some people i talked to on tumblr were super into toku stuff but i wasn't sure where to watch it at the time.  They told me to start with kamen rider W but they spelled it "kamen rider double" for some reason lmao, so i'd google "kamen rider double torrents' and not get any results. I think i wound up watching zyuranger and dairanger on youtube of all places before toei started uploading official subs a few years back and copyright struck the tv nihon fan uploads--that was a reliable place to watch it
I got into Toku in 2022 through OOO and it's still my favorite to this day, alongside Ryuki too! They share that spot together, Kobayashi just knows how to get me. I also really, really love Blade and Faiz. I've been enjoying Gotchard a ton too! Sentai wise I haven't seen much so far but Abaranger has to be my favorite sentai so far. It's just such a wild time and it's main cast really left an impression on me. I love abaranger so much. Donbros I also adore to bits, which is also a wild time of its own lol. I also loved Ultraman Z and Blazar but need to see more Ultra

I also adore Kaiketsu Zubat and will scream about this show to the high heavens. Same for Daimajin Kanon. More people need to see both of these toku shows so bad.

(02-08-2024, 04:42 PM)StardustCrusader Wrote: I remember in 2012 some people i talked to on tumblr were super into toku stuff but i wasn't sure where to watch it at the time.  They told me to start with kamen rider W but they spelled it "kamen rider double" for some reason lmao, so i'd google "kamen rider double torrents' and not get any results. I think i wound up watching zyuranger and dairanger on youtube of all places before toei started uploading official subs a few years back and copyright struck the tv nihon fan uploads--that was a reliable place to watch it

I've been really curious about Dairanger! I really want to see that one, my friend has told me a bit about it and it sounds so cool. I remember seeing a couple episodes of Zyuranger long before I officially got into toku too out of curiosity.
(02-12-2024, 03:06 PM)Linky Wrote: I've been really curious about Dairanger! I really want to see that one, my friend has told me a bit about it and it sounds so cool. I remember seeing a couple episodes of Zyuranger long before I officially got into toku too out of curiosity.

oh dairanger is cool! its got a chinese myth/martial arts theme.  i think i saw about 10 episodes, very cool. i didn't see the introduction of kibaranger, a uh 6 year old who turns into the white tiger ranger, who is also a pervert and sex pest.  its pretty tonally jarring with all the episodes before he shows up, what were they thinking